Wednesday, October 19, 2005

What I've been doing....

I've been in a knitting slump lately. I have a ton of projects laying around the house, waiting to be worked on, and all I can do is knit baby socks. For me, socks are comfort knitting- like mashed potatoes and gravy. They are easy to make and easy to finish. Socks are my choice whenever I feel like knitting something mindless but satisfying.

Why do I feel I need mindless knitting? Probably because I've ripped out no less than three projects in the last week. (Let's not mention the projects I ripped previously). My Diamond Fantasy Shawl is once again in the trash. I actually got up to the 3rd set of repeats when I realized that I'd made *another* mistake in the body of the shawl. The whole pattern was shifted very obviously sideways by at least two stitches. So I'm putting the DFS to rest for now; I have some Zephyr yarn (isn't it pretty?) on its way to me and maybe that'll get me going on it again on the shawl.

I won't mention the other projects I've scrapped lately; it's too depressing.

Part of my knitting ennui probably has to do with the fact that I have been working quite a bit lately. Lots of clients calling for Christmas card sessions means I have very little knitting time at night. The only time I can actually do my post processing is after the boys are in bed so that means time spent knitting is pretty slim. At least I managed to send some of Monkey Boy's photos to the printer (after 10 mos!). Here's a collage I put together for our hallway:



I also spent a little time spinning this week. Wanna see the finished product?

It's Blue Face Liecester- very soft and springy. I think I undertwisted the singles tho- they kept breaking when I was trying to ply them. There's about 320yds here.

10 comments:

Jan said...

I too am in a knitting slump. Just kind of blah... Very nice spun yarn! The collage is awesome! I love the hands and feet pic. I see the date 12-29-04 (I think), is that Monkey Boy's b-day? Miss Daisy was born 12-29-97. I tried to get her here for Christmas but she wasn't co-operating. Come to think about it, she didn't co-operate then either because she was an emergency c-section....

Elspeth said...

The yarn is gorgeous! We'll count spinning time as knitting time too! I've had to rip way too many things this year myself, it's so difficult!

knitties said...

I went through a knitting slump mid-year but I think I was mainly overwhelmed with the bunch of WIPs that were going nowhere. So I frogged them! Beautiful collage, your children are such angels :-) And I love the yarn you spun too!

Mamma said...

What amazing photographs. I love the one with the hands and feet. Your family is just lovely. I wish I could capture my family like that.
I hear you on the knitting slump. Maybe it's the weather. The season change from summer to autumn always makes me feel a little dicontent and wistful.

Obsessed with knitting said...

sheree, the yarn you spun is !!!gorgeous!!!

it's hard to have a knit/life balance when there are lots of other things going on ... this too shall pass

Starknitter said...

Hey Sherre, sorry I missed everyone on Wed. I went to dinner with my grandmother, we all had a good time.
I have a quesiton for you, do you know what a backward loop method is? and also how do you add on more stitches?

Kent said...

Wow - what a great photo collage! Beautiful shots. I was in a knitting slump too so I ripped out a shawl I did about 2 years ago and re did it. Crazy huh? I just didn't want to deal with the peices of a sweater that I had finished and I think it is too small and this is the 3rd time I have finished a project with this yarn and not liked it.

Anonymous said...

Your boys are so precious! I have 2 boys too! I'll have to send you something girlie with all those boys in the house!!!!

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Home's Jewels said...

Wow - I love the photo collage. How do you get the background black like that? I have a great camera but have so much to learn!

Beautiful yarn, too!