Tuesday, August 09, 2005

What the heck happened to this?

OK, I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my knitting is done purely by the seat of my pants. I'm forever changing patterns, using different yarns and gauges, and adding or subtracting elements of a particular design. I'm also infamous for plain 'just not following the directions'.

Usually it works out fine. Well, it works out fine about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, I end up with something like this:
What the hell is it, you ask?

It's *supposed* to be a Pinwheel Blankie. Except that I royally screwed up the cast on and so I ended up with WAAAAAY too many stitches. Like over 800 sts. on my 36inch circular. That took me almost 2 hours to cast off last night.

I was so excited- I laid the blanket down to block it....and suddenly realized (after all the damn casting off) that I was going for a trip to the frog pond with it. *sigh* It turns out that I had done too many stitches between the YOs in the very beginning. So instead of having only 5 quadrants to my pinwheel, I had something like TWENTY.

DOH

Well, I'm not that bummed because I think I'm going to re-knit it on slightly bigger needles to get a better drape. And if I'm only knitting on a couple of hundred stitches (instead of 800 OMG) , it should go a lot faster.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Obsessed with knitting said...

it really wanted to be a hat after all, I guess!
that's pretty funny.

Elspeth said...

Yeah, it could be a nice centerpiece or hot plate holder! It looks great anyway!

spaazlicious said...

Zoiks! That's a lot of stitches!

Thanks for answering my camera Q (I never know where to answer either. I like blogs that seem to have ongoing conversations in their comments, but I don't think I pull that kind of traffic...I know I don't really have time to go back to every blog I've commented on to see if someone else has commented on my comment in someone else's comments--life's too short, but I still like reading it when it happens. E-mail individually can get weird because sometimes it's such a really simple question and you end up padding it with really random banal pleasantries to avoid seeming brusque, and...answering in an entry, well, I think that's a happy medium. I mean, it seems weird to address others in what is kind of a diary, but it works because maybe someone else out there was wondering the same thing and it makes the info more visible. Whew, I'd better close these parenthesis before I wander off again.)

And hey, we have almost the same camera, I've got the XT. I really like the speed of the camera in sport mode when the dogs are running around, but sometimes the Autofocus is high on drugs. I definitely prefer the manual for the clarity but when the dogs are running at the beach...

I loved our families' reactions when we got this camera--wow, does it do video? No? Well, how much was it? Are you on drugs!?! Damn good camera and it does what we want it to do (most of the time);).

Sorry for the novel.

spaazlicious said...

Hi, it's me again, I'll keep it brief this time, I promise. I just came back to say your work photos are amazing--some great expressions and images in there.

23 in the gallery is my favourite.