Monday, May 29, 2006

fun with the boys

The boys and I have been pretty busy lately. The Dearest "took a week off" (meaning he was supposed to actually have some time to do home projects, but he ended up having to work nearly the whole week anyways. What *is* it with people who expect you to work during your vacation? /rant) and we went to Legoland. We've also been taking some Music Together classes, which Monkey Boy really loves. Today (Memorial Day) was spent playing in our new inflatable pool. Here are some shots from the past week:
summer with the boys
click for a larger view


Since the Dearest was able to spend some quality time with the boys, I was able to dye these rovings:



"Sea & Sand"


"Cinnabon"

The second roving started out as "Copper Penny", but someone on Flickr commented that it looked like a cinnamon roll so I renamed it Cinnabon. LOL These are both 50/50 tussah silk and merino blends, about 4oz each. I used Jacquard and Cushing dyes to handpaint them with little spots of color. The Cinnabon roving is a little more saturated than I intended, but I still like it. When spun, these rovings produce a slightly heathered look due to the undyed parts.

6 comments:

Abigale said...

Beautiful rovings! I dyed and spun some 50/50 merino/tussah a couple of months ago - made myself a really nice top (not blogged yet) - it was my own personal Olympic challenge (not entered anywhere or anything)

It was scrumptious to spin, scrumptious to knit, and lovely to wear!

Have fun with it :-)

Abi

Anonymous said...

Your boys are adorable, looks like everyone had a blast. And those rovings are beautiful, the colors are so warm (that cinnabon looks just yummy)!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Which color did you use for the bronze-y bits? I'm not happy with my Jacquard brown and am looking for alternatives.

Elspeth said...

Our "weeks off" always end up being Civilization IV fests -- but I guess that could count as work as my DH works for the video game industry ... what cute photos!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm just so jealous. The weather here is sooo cold I almost got my mittens out this morning.
Lucky you to get some free time. Yum cinnabon.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Cinabon....

I've been thinking of a colorway I saw today and would like to hand dye some sock yarn in it...

Someday perhaps!