Thursday, July 27, 2006

Monkey Boy's quilt

I've been wanting to make a quilt out of the boys' baby clothes for a while now. I recent finished a log cabin class at a local quilt shop and although I haven't finished my class quilt, I did manage to complete a small patchwork quilt made from Monkey Boy's baby clothes:

the whole shebang
my first quilt
'dick and jane' fabric on the backborder and a patch

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out- I just wish I had made it a little bigger. Each of the striped/printed squares is cut out from one of MB's baby shirts. The squares had to be ironed onto interfacing to hold them together (they wanted to stretch out because they are made of t-shirt material). It was a learning experience trying to get the squares to match up evenly with the cotton material since the t-shirt squares were much thicker than the plain cotton.

Now onto a quilt for Little Man!

5 comments:

Lynda said...

That is just the BEST idea! What a great, and practical, keepsake.... hmmmm, I've got a whole cedar chest full of stuff!

Anonymous said...

Cute! My mom is making me a log cabin quilt, too. I love the vintage looking backing....

jill said...

Beautiful! Perfect wallhanging for the boys' room (if it matches)>

just jenn said...

This is SO cute! You did a great job with Monkey Boy's clothes! :)

Elspeth said...

Great minds think alike -- I was just thinking I needed to make a baby shirt quilt!