Thursday, March 22, 2007

love thursday & a crafty FO

this week I'm loving-

-the silence that befalls our house after 8pm when the small men are in bed and snoozing (can you tell that the Dearest is still out of town?)

-ice cream 'staches:

day 74/photo a day
day 74 of 365

-linear thinking:
linear thinking 2

-my new foundation from Meow Cosmetics (try it, you'll like it! And samples are only $1!)

-being blessed with a funny, sweet and supportive extended family

-the local library's online catalog...I can put all my books on hold and pick them up at our local branch. No more searching thru the stacks for me!

-banana chocolate chip muffins....with the banana and some whole wheat flour, these might actually be a little healthy....right?

-my new traveling bag, made in a frantic haste the night before leaving for San Francisco (because you HAVE to have a new bag when traveling! And what possesses me to start crafting the night before I'm supposed to leave???):

front
the front

back
the back

I've been eyeing the tape measure fabric for weeks and finally purchased some not too long ago. Love the pattern, but I wasn't sure what to use it for...it turned out perfect for straps and a pocket on this little bag.

The beige twill material is some clearance linen-like stuff I had in my stash forever. It's quite thick and I think it's cotton. I tried to get a good shot of the interior of the bag, which is lined in a contrasting fabric, but the light wasn't cooperating with me. :( There are two large pockets inside- big enough for keys and a cellphone (or BART tickets and some extra change). The lining is lightly interfaced, but I probably could have done without that since the beige twill is quite heavy.

I didn't follow a pattern for the bag, just kinda threw it together. I wanted something quite deep and not too wide so things wouldn't fall out while I was walking around SF. The bag turned out perfect- my camera, wallet and phone fit perfectly with room to spare for a map and bottle of water. We even threw some sticky buns in there while walking through Chinatown.

on the shoulder


The big button is vintage from the stash G'Ma O gave me last year. There was a funny pucker at the top when I finished topstitching the bag and I covered it up with the button...which also happens to close up the top perfectly.

I like this bag so much that I've been using is in lieu of my normal diaperbag/purse since getting back from San Francisco even tho it's a bit too small for that. I might just have to make another, bigger one for everyday use.





8 comments:

Margene said...

Your son looks SO cute in that hat! The bag is perfect...the pocket the button..NICE work.

Noeysmommy said...

Cute bag. And I love the hat Little Man is wearing. Did you make it?

Christie said...

That bag is too cute! I thought you actually sewed together some old measuring tapes!

Hmm...may have to try out their eyeshadows or something. Thanks for the link!

Adrienne " A little dramatic at times" said...

LOVE that picture of your son!!! And the bag is TOO CUTE!!!!!!

Violet & Rose said...

I'm just about to make a new bag myself, so good to hear your thoughts. It looks great, by the way.

Shar said...

Your boys are so adorable!!

Dawn Thomas said...

Oh I love the size and patterns of this bag. I too have to have a new bag before i take a trip! I do not sew but have the ruler fabric (i plan to construct something over Easter weekend) Thanks for the inspiration.
Dawn T

ali said...

Love the tape measure fabric!
Cute bag and cute kids!
Happy knitting,
ali