Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Yuck and a swatch

I can't believe that it's only 9am and I already have the AC on. Our thermometer says it's 78 in the shade, but that doesn't take into account the lovely humidity. It seems like thunderstorm weather because the air is so still and sticky. We live close to the beach (less than 3 miles as the crow flies), so this kind of weather is unusual for us. It's usually hot during the day, but bearable since we get the ocean breeze 90% of the time. And as soon as the sun sets it gets chilly due to the marine layer. The same marine layer usually keeps the mornings cool till it burns off around 10am.

But this morning I woke up at 7:30 and it was already sunny, sticky and warm. I hope we don't have blackouts today. I try to do our part by not running the big appliances and such...I wouldn't even run the AC if I could get away with it, but the boys' rooms are hit by the sun all day and there's no way I'm going to get them to nap when it's 90+ degress in their rooms.

Last night I swatched for Kiri using my new Venezia yarn. I used #9 needles, swatched, washed and blocked. The yarn actually held the blocking shape pretty well, tho it's hard to work with because of the mohair fuzziness. I like the way it looks alot so Kiri is going to be a go-head.

Sorry for the funny photo- the light is really strange right now. I think there must be a brush fire nearby because the sky has that harsh, flat yellow look it gets when smoke gets into the atmosphere.

1 comments:

Christie said...

The color looks lovely and the pattern is very nice in that yarn. The weather is funny...I'm in Hollywood and it was so hot at 1am that I couldn't sleep. The air does seem unnaturally heavy.