Tuesday, February 28, 2006

This is a knitting blog?



Modeled by Monkey Boy.

Why yes, yes it is! Proof is shown above and below. Mrs. Beeton from Knitty.com.

Yup, that's my hand
Showing the inner ruffle/bell.

FO Report:
Mrs. Beeton from Knitty.com

Yarn: 1 skein (less than 120yds) of Capistrano Fiber Arts' Handpainted (only available at LPK) 100% Alpaca in "Berries". Less than 1/4 skein of Blue Sky Alpacas Sportweight Alpaca in Chartreuse. This is the 'old style' of BSA, which they are phasing out.

Notes: The pattern calls for a contrasting color as the outer "bell" or ruffle, and the master color as the inner bell. I did the the other way around (CC as the inner bell and MC as the outer) because I think it looks better in this colorway and with these yarns. I also made the wristwarmers a little longer than the length in the pattern, and I didn't use the picot edge suggested by the designer. A picot chain stitch from Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge seemed to fit better.

It's a pretty easy pattern, and I think it's great for using up small bits of yarn. Especially those really expensive ones like Kidsilk Haze, which would make a cool outer or inner ruffle. The hardest part was figuring out how to connect the two bells together; despite the pattern's well written instructions, I had to fiddle with the two peices for a few minutes before everything clicked.

I think these would make great gifts and I'm planning on making another pair.



5 comments:

Chelle said...

Those turned out so nice! And I do like your model, LOL!

Noeysmommy said...

Oooooh, pretty! I like your color choice.

Christie said...

Those are so cute. Great color combination!

amanda said...

Those are great! And now that I've seen yours I'm totally jonesing to knit my own.

Elspeth said...

They look so cute! Someone suggested I make that pattern, and you may have convinced me!