Thursday, August 17, 2006

Math scares me

I've started thinking about Fall projects. Yes, yes I know that I haven't finished any Summer projects recently, but you can never plan too far ahead when it comes to knitting! The Simple Knitted Bodice is on top of my list to knit.
KnittedBodice

Isn't it gorgeous? I got the pattern a couple of weeks ago and have been trying really really really hard to use stash yarn for the sweater. My first couple of swatches included some Malabrigo worsted and some Silky Wool in Claret. The Silky Wool was just lovely, but it's knitting up at 5.5 sts/inch and the pattern calls for a worsted weight silk knitted at 4sts/inch.

After an evening spent cussing at a calculator, I finally got the math figured out and cast on to knit with the Silky Wool. I'm about two inches into the neck (the sweater is knit from the top down) and now I'm not so sure about my choice. The Silky Wool might be knitting up too densely. Ugh. I think I'll go a couple more repeats and see how it looks. Wish me luck!

The boys wanted to play in the front yard today so we got out the pool and I spent some time knitting on my Little Lacy Top while supervising the fun. The lace part is completed and I'm about an inch away from splitting for the armholes. The stockinette is going *much* quicker than the lace!

Here's what the boys did while I was knitting:



Video Hosting - Upload Video - Video Sharing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pattern! Good luck getting the silky wool to work, it makes a really nice fabric.

That pool looks so refreshing!

Anonymous said...

I want one!

Like I need another project - but I reeeeelly like it!

ellyodd said...

Have you ever heard of dyscalculia? It's "math dyslexia". Try checking out http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com or just do a google search!